Data Protection and the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR)
The Data we may collect and process about you:
Our staff aim to provide you with the highest quality of healthcare. To do this they need to keep records about you, your health and the care we have provided.
Information recorded may include:
- basic details about you, such as your full name, address and date of birth.
- Contact details such as your telephone number and email address.
- Details of your past and current spectacle and/or contact lens prescription.
- Details and notes about your health and medical treatments
- Records of medicines you have been prescribed by your doctor and details of your general heath.
This information won’t be shared with anyone else except under the circumstances described below in ‘Sharing Information’.
Patient records are only accessible to the healthcare professionals working at the practice. We will usually keep any personal data we hold about you for ten years after our last contact with you before we delete it. This is the period recommended as good practice by the College of Optometrists.
The information held about you will not be shared for any reason, unless:
- You ask us to do so
- We ask and you give us specific permission
The types of people we may ask you for permission to share information with include your doctors (GP and hospital) and other health professionals.
Anyone who receives information from us also has a legal duty to keep this information confidential.
- You have the right to be informed about how we use personal data – this privacy notice gives that information.
- Your right to view your health record.
- You have the right to ask for a copy of all our records about you.
- If you think any information we hold on you is inaccurate or incorrect, please let us know.
Last updated March 2020